Saturday 25 October 2008

I Need a Fix Cause I'm Going Down

So I took a page out of Unique Stephen's book and decided to hit the beach. My grandfather owns a beach house in the area south of the Sheikh Muhammad Naser al-Ahmad Naval Base, which my family gathers at every weekend. It's a big place, every family has their own apartment, and there's usually a few uncles and cousins around. I'm not much of a photographer, I don't even own a camera, but I felt like documenting the day so I snagged my sister's point and shoot.

A few perfunctory hellos as I walked through the house, and then I hit the sand. The beach isn’t exactly private, but it’s private access for a long stretch and except for people walking by, folks usually keep to the stretches of sand in front of their own property.



I’d barely figured out how to work the camera so that all the shots wouldn’t be completely washed out and was taking my first pictures when I was summoned back into the house.


I was met by excited orders to put on some shoes and come quick and for heaven’s sake to bring my camera, there were kites!


I hopped into my uncle’s car and as we sped to a patch of empty land on the side opposite the water he explained. There were some sort of kite flying hobbyists with giant kites up in the sky and as the sun was starting to set they were probably going to be bringing them down.


Fortunately we caught them before they brought everything down.
I’m not sure I got the hang of this picture taking thing in time, but I’m glad I was there. Unfortunately I didn't manage to capture these ladybugs in flight.


By the time I got back it was getting dark and I was accosted by three little girls demanding a turn at the camera. I had the thing all day and I thought this was only fair. (My sister hearing this line of reasoning later that night was not very amused even though she gives in to them just as easily.) One of them caught me either explaining how we should all go racing toward the camera or performing some sort of tribal dance.


I then caught our talented camerawoman flipping some sand the bird.



Finally, they they went back inside and left me in peace. I messed around with exposure to figure out how to take pictures of a dark beach. I was not entirely unsuccessful.

Spent some time playing with the surf while listening to Arabic music, which fit the night better before going back to the house to hang out with my uncles to talk about the economy and classic Arabian poetry before heading back home. All in all, not a bad way to spend an evening.

What I'm Listening to Right Now: Ashes to Ashes - David Bowie

5 comments:

Delicately Realistic said...

Ok....the last pic is freaky as hell

theres a shadow in it !!!

how in the world did u manage that ?!

its even freakier than the tribal dance one!!

oh and i love the beach...and with family its even better...

those lady bird kites are adorable !!

MiYaFuSHi said...

Thanks for the pics :) We drove past them yesterday but I didn't have time to get a good shot, but I told my friend 10 bucks says we are going to find them on a blog tomorrow :)

unique_stephen said...

Fantastic shots - I love the ladybirds all lined up on the sand.

De Campo said...

Love it. I think I've been to this stretch of beach before. I'm always getting yelled at by the either the American Navy, or Kuwaiti Navy, sometimes both navies at the same time for swimming. Something about mines. Whatever.

You would think with all this beachfront property Jimmy Buffett would be all the rage around here.

DeeDee said...

dr Heh,I think my mother had the exact same reaction to the pic. I was just playing around with exposure so that I could take a picture of the dark beach and decided to see who that would look if I was walking in front of the camera. Don't worry, it's just me!

miyafushi You're welcome. I hope you collected on that bet!

stephen Thank you, I think the ladybirds were more accident that design but I'm more than happy to take credit.

de campo Hah, don't they know by now that yelling only encourages you? I'm still waiting for you to start some kind of international incident. Fingers crossed on it being while you're still here.

You think there's a chance of changing the name from Bnaider to Margaritaville?