Tuesday 21 October 2008

I Miss My Mind The Most

Maybe because these other things I haven't lost. They are merely temporarily misplaced.

Taco/Starla: My best friend. My platonic soul mate. She's like my elbow, under appreciated yet completely necessary. She tolerates my oddness and my attempts at humor, and she doesn’t kill me in my sleep. Also, she is a twelve year old boy and a classically trained mime (no she’s not just quiet don’t believe a word she says). We spend much too much time disappearing on one another.

Cairo:
A couple of years ago I got to spend a week at Starla's place there. It was loud, crowded, dirty and I loved every second of it. There are a lot of places that I fell head over heels for, but my favorite is a place called Shadder. Tucked away in a residential area it's the oddest mix of old and new. Traditional low to the ground seats and hookahs. Wirless internet and alternative rock music. Saj bread with Nutella. Cairo needs its own post.

The Meems:
The lesbian community support group I met in Lebanon. They're accepting, smart, focused, hardworking and active. They've achieved so much in a short time. I'm proud to claim those women as friends. They're just so warm and inclusive. They also need their own post.

Smoking:
I am not a smoker. I 'm always ‘quitting’ smoking. I will have a couple of cigarettes every few months, and then spend every moment thinking about how I’m not smoking. It’s been nearly two months since my last cigarette, but I’ve had a couple of hookahs in the meantime so… one of which like the equivalent of an entire pack? Healthy. I miss the way smoking a cigarette makes me feel, and the ritual of it.

The Gym:
I'm too lazy to go to the gym, but I miss the way working out makes me feel. Blood pumping, full of endorphins. Catching the occasional yoga session (I am the least bendy person ever). Spinning class. Swimming.

What I'm Listening to Right Now: Me and Bobby McGee - Janis Joplin

2 comments:

Inchy said...

You're tagged.

De Campo said...

I love Cairo! I love how it’s so busy, dirty, and noisy. It’s one of my favorite places to get lost. It’s also a great place to enact debauchery. Somehow I’ve gained a large number of Egyptian military buddies over the years.

The Meems? What’s the meaning of that word, is it a translation? I really need to learn more about women’s rights, and GLBT rights groups in the region.

You can’t be considered a serious writer, poet, philosopher, artist, or any other student of the humanities if you don’t smoke. There’s just something engraved into my mind that screams sophistication when smoking a cigg, drinking café Americano, and discussing affairs at an open air café. (This coming from a guy who goes to the gym twice a day)