Monday 3 November 2008

Good Day Sunshine

This morning was mine. Today nature decided to begin a day just for me. She made a morning so pretty it broke my heart, and placed it in my hands, gentle as a kiss.

Other people have their summers. They have their long lazy days as they lay on the warm sand. They have the gritty feel of sand on their legs and the coconut smell of suntan oil. They have their bright sunshine, their runs in the park. They have their freshly cut grass and melting ice-cream cones.

I have the first overcast day of the year. I have the soft rain steadily falling on the water of the marina, on the stones of the courtyard, on the ridiculous green lampposts. I have little brown birds smaller than my hand hopping on the ledge, feathers fluffed up and damp. I have the tentative touch of the cool breeze soft on my face like a hesitant lover. I have the weak sunlight slowly but surely making its presence known. I have the clean smell of wet dirt as I make my way back to my car.

More rainy days will come. I will probably tire of them. I’ll get distracted. I’ll spend them indoors and let them pass me by. I may even long for the heat of summer.

None of that will erase that this morning was mine.

What I'm Listening to Right Now: Grace - Jeff Buckley

P.S. You should definitely read Wandering by HZ, which is this sweet beautiful short story about a friendship between the Earth and a comet. If you're going to anthropomorphize heavenly bodies, this is definitely the way to go.

2 comments:

De Campo said...

You just can’t beat the smell of clean dirt in the morning. The overcast sky and pounding rain was so refreshing.

Unfortunately, I couldn’t enjoy it for too long. As it turns out, I have a faulty roof. Electronics + Water= Bad Day(s) at work.

DeeDee said...

Must not laugh at other people's misfortune. Must not laugh at other people's misfortune. Must not... ah who am I kidding. Schadenfreude for the lulz.

Er.. I mean... Aaww, there there. *pats your back in manly/awkward British display of sympathy*

I have so much affection for the word dirt. Diiirrrrt. Also, viscera.