Sunday 14 September 2008

Wish List

There are a lot of things that I want to do. Some of them are easy things that I know I will be able to do eventually. Others are things that I may be able to do with effort and relocation. Others still are things that I’m pretty certain I won’t be able to do.

Some of these things:
  • Graduate: Hopefully in about eight months.
  • Get my MBA: I was hoping that I’d push up my GPA high enough that I’d qualify for a scholarship to go abroad, but I don’t think that’s happening. I still qualify for a local, so maybe I’ll stick around for a couple of years and get one while I work.
  • Get into shape and get into an EMT then a paramedic program: If I can get a non-KU MBA scholarship for somewhere other than Kuwait, maybe this is something I can do on my own dime. I don’t think I’d like a desk job much, and being a first responder seems useful, something I’ve always sort of wanted to be.
  • Become an assistant to someone who does something interesting: I think about doing this after I get my MBA. I’m not an efficient person by nature, but I’d like to learn to be. Also, it seems like a good way to learn about the real world.
  • Go bungee jumping: This just seems like a lot of fun.
  • Go skydiving: Again, fun.
  • Learn to ride a motorcycle: Same. Also, pretty.
  • Read something Non-Fiction and finish it: I’ve just never been able to do this. I need a plot to hold my interest.
  • Learn to not suck at video game: For my hand to eye coordination of course.
  • Learn another language: Maybe Spanish or German. It’s something I’ve always wanted to do. Knowing only two seems so… limiting.
  • Learn Sign Language: It just seems interesting.
  • Learn to play a musical instrument: Most likely the guitar. I’ve always loved music, I’d like to be able to be part of it.
  • Go to a music concert: But to a band I like and whose songs I know. Maybe with some people I could enjoy it with. Some of my friends went to the Muse concert in Dubai a few months ago, and I’ve always resented my not being able to go.
So, is there anything that you wish you could do?

Edited to Add: Get Laid: I think this one speaks for itself. (Insert wry smirk here.)

5 comments:

unique_stephen said...

What do you think you can't do in that list?
It all seems pretty achievable. I'm not into North American self help - "you can be anything you want to be" nonsense but they are all doable and with the exception of perhaps joining a first responder medical team and your GPA / Masters the kind of thing you could do or at least start doing in a few weeks.

How does having an MBA help you deal with a sucking chest wound?

DeeDee said...

This list's all doable, the other is stuff like going off the radar and being a mechanic in Bumfuck, Nova Scotia or restoring classic cars for a living, because I know shit about cars.

The MBA is my ticket out of Kuwait, where you can't get paramedic work/training if you're a girl. Aslo, for the distracting small talk.

unique_stephen said...

You've got to get out of Kuwait.

I oft wonder what would happen if chicks all got up and left repressed countries - if there were a sisterhood that pooled resources to help others with air tickets and formed co-ops and all that eath mother rubbish - basically depopulated repressive countries of women and left the f.wits to sort it out themselves.

Let 1 generation pass and it would all be over

De Campo said...

You should check out Alphonso Lingis. He is an American Philosopher and friend of mine. I really think you would enjoy some of his books (all non-fiction). Particularly, the books Trust (my fav), Dangerous Emotions, and Foreign Bodies.

Hopefully you'll be too busy getting laid to read them for awhile.

Good list!

DeeDee said...

stephen Such a pretty dream. Sometimes I think that it's a generational problem, that in twenty or thirty years when the older generation passes away thin will be better, but then I'm face with younger and younger close minded people everyday. It also annoys me that most girls I know seem to be fine with the status quo.

de campo I'll try and get hold of them, thanks for the rec. Here's to hoping!