Thursday 11 September 2008

Effortless

I make no effort.

The following is a short film on gender representation in advertising that came out in 1999 but is still pretty relevant I think.



I feel a little guilty that the treatment didn’t take.

I wear size 16 American. I’m a big girl with small to average breasts (all the cons none of the pros) and I think they may be a little lopsided. I have big hands and wear size 9 and a half shoes. I rarely wear makeup and my hair gets to do whatever it wants. I’m not tanned, toned, groomed, or plucked. Despite my family’s best efforts, ranging from locking the kitchen and fridge when I was growing up to my favorite, “You’ll never get a man looking like that” (pity, that), I don’t hate myself or the way I look. I should probably make an effort to get a more feminine self-esteem.

That said, I think this is pretty serious stuff. It took me a long time to shut out the sound of other people's voices and learn to accept my body.

3 comments:

unique_stephen said...

I posed for the Calven Kline add - so I don't have a body issue.

De Campo said...

I’ve been in the market for a new host body for several months now.

DeeDee said...

stephen Do I want to know what sort of ad?

de campo May I suggest SFC Freeman? Try as I might, I'm just not over that. When do you think the thing's going to come bursting out of his abdomen?