Friday 1 June 2012

Follow Friday: Shibeeb

So this is a new thing I'm going to do now. Instead of having an #FF thing where I list a bunch of names each week on twitter.. each week I'm going to pick one person and do a post on them.

My first #FF is going to be @Shibeeb because my first #FF is always Shibeeb. Some of you may not know this because I don't talk about it as much as I used to but.. he's one of the people dearest to my heart. I actually don't feel about anyone the same way I feel about him, and I'm going to explain why.

To explain how I feel about Shibeeb, first I have to explain how I feel about my brother.

Yes, I have a brother. An older brother about Shibeeb's age.

For the first years of my life, it was just me and my brother. And even when my younger sisters were born, it was still me and my brother. He was my whole world you see. My strong, beautiful, funny brother. Everything he did and said was special. Because he was my big brother. And I know it's silly but no one could make me feel as safe.

We fought, we played, we loved and hated each other. And then my brother grew up. And some time after that, I grew up too. And we didn't really know each other anymore. He was still my strong, beautiful, funny brother.. but I was someone else. And the older I got, the harder it became for me to tell him who that was. And the more of a stranger I became, the less safe he made me feel.

Eventually, I came to terms with it. I didn't need my brother anymore. And maybe I didn't want him either.

I met Shibeeb on twitter and he's not like my brother at all. Except for all the ways he is. Even though they're very different, he reminds of my brother so much. Except I can tell him who I am and he never has anything but love for me.

See, Shibeeb is strong, beautiful and funny just like my brother. But his mind isn't as closed. And it seems to me that his heart is so much more open. And he makes me laugh. And unlike my brother, he sometimes laughs with me. I mean, obviously they both laugh *at* me all the time. But sometimes Shibeeb laughs with me. And he's one of the sweetest, best guys on (and off) twitter. Seriously, he's such a good person. It's crazy. But also, he's not too good to be the perverted asshole I love.

And that's why you should follow him this Friday.

No comments: