Saturday 30 October 2010

(Body) Parts

Author's Note: So I'm feeling self indulgent and I though I would indulge in some light-hearted feel-good fiction for once. So I came up with this. Just over 500 words. Seriously self-indulgent. Child of my desire to write, some interesting DMs on Twitter over the last couple of days and one lovely fan who I didn't want to wait anymore (Not the same person). You have been warned.

Parts

It started with a hand. Thrust out of her car, lazily riding the currents as she drove by. You smile, but god what a hand. Strong mobile wrist wrapped in a distinctive cuff, tough but delicate... I was a little in love with that cuff. Her thumb ring flashed in the morning sun and I wanted to take the pad of that finger into my mouth and ever so gently bite down, let her know I was there. Those nimble fingers rode nothing but air and I wished I could ride them instead. Oh, it was just a hand... if just was a word that could be said about that hand. A hand that made a heart stutter for just a second. Nothing even need be said about the capable looking forearm, with the sleeve rolled up to just above the elbow. How an elbow can be a such tease I can not know.

Then came the jaw.. different day, same cuff, same hand. A flash of determination and excellent bone structure as she walked into my store. This book she asked, do you carry it. I knew I didn't but I couldn't let her go just like that. The books may be used but they're well loved and I know them all just like any proper mother would, not considering that I'd idly wanted it for myself for quite some time. Still I couldn't let her go, I couldn't find it in my heart. So I typed in names and titles and numbers; offered her conversation and options while that jaw made its frustration clear. It softened just a little at the offer of coffee. I wanted to put my fingers there and touch my lips to the edge. Instead I bit my tongue and stole glance from beneath my lowered lashes. Before my ravenous eyes could map every line and curve of her face, I had to admit defeat. I called around but a copy couldn't be bought for love or money. The jaw clenched and unclenched, she could not be swayed from her search I thought. I promised to keep an eye out, contact her if I found it. I could not find it in my heart to turn that face away for good.

That might have been that if it wasn't for the dimple. She shrugged and smiled and apologized for her abruptness, and I couldn't have stopped myself if I'd tried. I shouldn't be doing this I said but I find myself unable to say no to you. I have a friend, he deals in books as well. I can't call him, he's been away for days. If anyone can hunt it down I know he can. I asked him for it myself and he promised to deliver in a few days time. I couldn't help a little frown. I wondered if she would smile at him like that as well. Instead she gifted me with another. Maybe I could pick it up from you instead. I looked down at the words she had scrawled down. But his store is much closer to you than mine. Her teeth flashed as she turned up one shoulder and told me she knew, she saw me there one time.

Now Playing: So Happy I Could Die - Lady GaGa (;*)

8 comments:

Mazloum said...

This is beautiful! I loved reading it, and you should definitely write more often. :)

Anonymous said...

This was definitely worth the wait! I loved it, DeeDee. I loved the way you described everything, your writing is eloquent and beautiful. I look up to you in so many ways you wouldn't believe.
I can only wish to write like you one day.

The Expatess said...

Typed with your lovely fingers, your words have encircled my mind like that cuff encircled her tender wrist. In comparison to your older work, your tone has changed; it's softened and I can tell you're happy these days Deedee. That little fact brings me so much joy, you have no idea. Having read your blog from start to finish, I felt a fraction of the pain you sometimes felt. However, past hate has left us all (myself included), and here's to a brighter future filled with stars like yourself.
Loved the song choice you minx. ;)

DeeDee said...

Mazloum Thank you, I'm glad you liked it. It makes me happy I'm going to try.

7ala I'll never stop saying this, I think you're brilliant. Your good opinion means a lot to me. I suggest we form a mutual admiration society.

Anonymous Heheh, I'm like you liked it unknown person who is a girl.

Recent Expatess Thank you for giving me that little push I needed to writhe this. I read your comment and realized.. it was true. I am happier. There's something amazing about finding a community of like-minded people. Also, the song choice was inspired, wasn't it? ;*

Anonymous said...

Unknown-person-who-is-a-girl here. I'm glad you're glad I liked it. (I'm hoping that's a typo where you said I'm like you liked it) I said I'm a girl because I'm straight but you managed to turn me on. Or am I? #revelation

DeeDee said...

Anonymous *facepalm* Excuse the crappy response, this is what I get for replying to comments through a phone. I meant to say "I like that you like it."

I'm glad you found thought it was hot, and I don't think that means anything about your sexuality more than you choose for it to. The words/image obviously struck a chord, and it could be a simple as that. Or it could mean something more. That's for you to decide. That said, I'm very glad you though it was hot. :)

Anonymous said...

Since there's another anonymous I'll call myself anonymous Blue-how about that? (the same anonymous that commented on your [I'd give my name but it's used too often?] ) ok hope that made sense. anyways, awesome writing. just AWESOME.

-Blue

Blue said...

ok that was stupid.


that better?! :P
(if u haven't noticed the change-it's the name :P)